Tampa Bay’s First “Tweed Ride”

My friend Chip Haynes just sent in the following details on an upcoming fun ride in the Tampa Bay area:

The First Annual Pinellas County Tweed Ride

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Leaving from Eagle Lake County Park, 1800 Keene Road in Largo at 10 a.m.

and arriving at the Safety Harbor Spa well in time for lunch.

Proper attire and mount required.*

*Please note: This is a ride for vintage British three-speed bicycles and traditional fixies with their owners in appropriate cycling attire.

Please dress, and ride, accordingly.

Tweed’s in short supply in our tropical climes, so if you’re interested in riding, start scrounging for appropriate attire. I wonder if someone should host a “seersucker ride” for our fair area?

1. trailsnet January 6, 2011 7:57 pm

Will this ride be on trails or on a road?

2. Ghost Rider January 6, 2011 8:33 pm

Gosh, I have no idea. I’ll try to get the event organizers to comment here with some details about the route.

3. Chip Haynes January 7, 2011 9:09 am

This is a no-roads ride. We will take the sidewalks down Belleair Road to get to the Progress Energy Trail, then it’s trails all the way to Safety Harbor. Belleair Road is a busy, narrow two lane road with no shoulders, and I refuse to risk my friends’ lives. After all, it’s not like we’re in a hurry.

4. Chim Richalds M.D. January 7, 2011 4:26 pm

I would die to do one of these.

5. Chip Haynes January 7, 2011 4:51 pm

Please don’t say “die” when you’re talking about bicycling. This has been a brutal year for cyclists in the Tampa Bay Area. We have lost so many…

That said, let me say this: Go to http://www.3peedtour.com and revel in what must surely be the finest tweed ride in North America if not the known universe.

And if anyone wants to talk to me about how I’m putting mine together, you have but to ask.

6. Darryl Howell January 7, 2011 9:41 pm

Chip, you left out the letter “s” in http://www.3speedtour.com url. And you’re right, they have a wonderful tweed ride.

7. Chip Haynes January 8, 2011 5:22 pm

Oh, crap- my bad. Curse my two tumbling typing fingers. Thank you, Darryl!

8. Slimm Buick January 11, 2011 10:17 am

They do seersucker and linen rides in Sacramento, Ca. How about vintage Palm Beach Suits? Now, that would be cool …