Spring is in the air as winds out of the south blew me home last night.

Those happy, free-as-a-bird feelings of bike riding rushed back to me as I easily pedaled home – face uncovered for the first time in months, now that the winter thaw has set in. Ah… With warm 40-ish temperatures and the nice breeze to propel my journey, I felt invigorated.

Back on Groundhog Day I posted that the groundhog predicted the end of winter. I’m sure ready to embrace the less-layered and bundled look in favor of spring temperatures. (just hold off the chilly spring rains – please)

Tomorrow Chicago may reach a high of 60-degrees! For those of you in warmer climates – hush! – but for the rest of us… get on your bike and enjoy the weather while it lasts.

1. Iron_Man February 16, 2011 2:29 pm

Hear hear!!! The recent thaw has finally cleared my route of snow. We don’t have much snow removal here, so what falls generally stays till it melts naturally. Clear streets meant I could get back on the road bike. That thing trims 15-20 minutes off the commute each way. So nice!

2. Johnny K February 16, 2011 2:46 pm

The low here in Florida was 40 and right now it is 67. I am in short sleeve and comptemplating shorts.

3. Johnny K February 16, 2011 2:48 pm

Tomorrow they are predicting a low of 54 here in North Florida with a high of 74.

4. Brandt February 16, 2011 4:37 pm

I live in Miami, and I was going to say something, but you already hushed me. Haha

5. Elizabeth February 16, 2011 5:08 pm

@Johnny K – plenty of folks walking around in short sleeves here today, too. I was just in a vest and long-sleeve top. Wonderful.

6. Elizabeth February 16, 2011 5:08 pm

@Brandt – I would love to hear what you have to say.

7. Dacius February 16, 2011 5:37 pm

I am in Jacksomville, FL and it was 65 on my bike ride home. It was strange to feel the sun on my arms and actually sweat during my commute. I got home and my wool socks were drinched with sweat!!!! I felt so ALIVE!!!

8. Raiyn February 16, 2011 5:40 pm

Spring is definitely near, I’m starting to upgrade my raingear as it’s something I’ve neglected for quite a while.

FWIW I’ve decided that I’m going the “cape and cover” route this year.

9. Johnny K February 17, 2011 6:23 am

@Dacius – someone else from Jacksonville, FL. Awesome!!! I think I am getting a sunburn today just for fun. My knees love the warm weather but this humidity can go. Hehehe never satisfied.

10. Nic Nelson February 17, 2011 4:53 pm

Glad to hear the rest of the country is edging toward Los Angeles weather. Folks here who complain about bike commuting usually complain about arriving at work sweaty, not tired (we are hill-lite) or chilly. But we need reminders like this, of how good we’ve got it. I grew up shuttling between Scottsdale AZ– scorching heat + dehydration– and Lake Tahoe NV– steep hills + deep snows. I, for one, appreciate Angeleno biking weather!