Give up driving for Lent?

“I thought there’s probably a lot of things where I really don’t need my car. I could use my bike or just walk, so I think that is what I am going to attempt to endeavor,” Father O’Brien explained. “I can put up with the sacrifice of walking, or the challenge of walking to certain places or riding my bike.”

For Lent, could you give up driving?:

1. Chip Haynes March 10, 2011 5:36 pm

Even just giving up driving for one day a week- a Saturday or Sunday- is a great step in the right direction. Worst-case scenario: You’ll really like it and end up as wacky as the rest of us crazy bicycler-types.

2. Steve A March 10, 2011 6:05 pm

I should think that most of your readership isn’t too influenced by the price of gas. Are those real gas prices?

3. Jesus Christ March 10, 2011 6:09 pm

It’s been said before, Gas Prices will affect everything. Even if you’re a full time bike commuter, it will hit you in the form of your food and other goods costing more.

4. Chip Haynes March 10, 2011 6:40 pm

And once again, Jesus gets it in one. Yes, the price of oil, and therefore the price of gas as well, have an impact on virtually every aspect of all that we do- whether we drive or not. That’s no reason to keep driving, mind you. Jesus walked. I think He was on to something there.

5. Raiyn March 11, 2011 1:29 am

@ Steve A
    Yes, those are real, current prices.

6. Johnny K March 11, 2011 8:21 am

Yep those look real to me because that is what they are here in Jacksonville, FL. I only use my automobile to take my girlfriend to her doctor appointments these days and on occasion I use it to go to BJ’s Wholesale to stock up. Now as soon as I can get a trailer I will not need my automobile for groceries at all and the only reason would be for Dr. appointments. I wish I could get one of those rickshaw/pedicab bikes or something where the passenger can sit without hurting their back then I would not need my automobile at all.

7. RL March 11, 2011 8:26 am

I just saw diesel prices yesterday here in Southern California, $4.99 per gallon. Though diesel is always more expensive, my jaw still dropped when I saw that.

Johnny K, I’ve been wanting to get a bicycle sidecar from the Philippines. Next best option for my family is my Xtracycle.

8. Chip Haynes March 11, 2011 8:29 am

Actually, those prices might be a little low, depending on where you are. Here in Clearwater, Florida, regular gas was going for around $3.53/9 last time I checked (yesterday).

Saw the most profound quote ever on the subject earlier this week: “Gas is not priced based on what it costs to produce- it’s priced based on what it will cost to replace.”

And that says it all right there.

9. Johnny K March 11, 2011 8:38 am

Another option to save on gas at least for Northeast Florida is to buy foods local. I purchase my vegetables from a local company they get their vegetables from local farmers. Take a look in your local communities for companies like this and save the gas. The stuff I purchase from BJ’s are those things that I cannot get local however I have been looking and as soon as I find them I will drop BJ’s too.

10. clever-title March 11, 2011 10:26 am

I couldn’t trade driving for walking for Lent since it’s not a sacrifice to do something you enjoy more.

11. Charmaine March 11, 2011 12:07 pm

I bike to work every day (15 miles roundtrip). I decided to go car-free 3 yrs. ago. My friends/family thought I was crazy. :) I realized that I basically only used my car on the weekends. I get around by bike, walking, and public transportation. It sometimes takes a little longer to get places, but I enjoy biking, so it’s no problem. I shop locally. Give it a try – at least on the fair-weather days – see how you like it! :)

12. Mir.I.Am March 11, 2011 3:04 pm

Car-Free Lent. Great Idea! The United Smooshy Americans would be surprised that there are plenty of fun ways to get around without a car. I just wish my boyfriend would drop 90 lbs. so I could put him in my bike yellow baby cart… Two 50-pound kid limit… or lot’s of boxed wine.

13. Raiyn March 11, 2011 11:27 pm

@ Chip I’m not surprised that Clearwater’s a touch higher than the station down the street from me in St. Pete, it just seems to go that way.

14. William O. B'Livion March 12, 2011 10:13 pm

It’s not the 19 mile ride to work along narrow, unlit rural roads that bothers me, it’s the 7:30 start time, which means I have to get up at 5:30 to make I have time to get there, get showered and eat. Or I can get up 25-30 minutes later and take the (free) bus.

I’m *not* a morning person.

15. buster mcfly March 13, 2011 9:53 am

It has driven me back to riding to work – 22 miles. $3.98 a gallon is way to much for a dry warm ride to work. Been wanting to get back on it but the weather has been a great deterrent. Now, the money is worse than the weather. Easy choice!