See you next Wednesday, May 18

On my ride home one evening last week, I rode by a pair of cyclists on a cargo bike. I sped ahead and pulled over to take their photo and waived a hello.
cargo joy ride

Later on I caught up with the couple at a stop light and they explained that this bike ride was unexpected… hence no helmets. Then they shouted back to me “See you at the Ride of Silence!”

Wednesday, May 18, 2011, is the annual Ride of Silence (always the third Wednesday in May). Already nearly 300 communities worldwide are set to ride according to the Ride of Silence website.

The Ride of Silence is an opportunity for the global community of cyclists on one night at a singular time to ride in memory of our fellow cyclists who have been injured or killed by distracted, drunk or otherwise impaired, negligent or careless motorists. This ride is our ride to show – in our silent procession – that bicyclists are road users too and motorists must Share The Road!

See you at the Ride of Silence!
ros_logo

1. juan hernandez jr. May 14, 2011 11:50 am

I will be there!

2. Mike Myers May 14, 2011 12:11 pm

They were riding a Trek Transport. That’s the first one I’ve seen.

3. Dottie May 14, 2011 1:07 pm

Oh, I think I met that guy on the sidewalk on Lincoln Ave the other day. Or someone who was riding that very same Trek Transport.

See you at Ride of Silence!

4. jefe May 14, 2011 2:07 pm

Too bad the Transport rear rack isn’t rated for that much weight (100 on the top rack, 50 on each lower side). Enjoy it while it lasts.

5. harry krishna May 15, 2011 12:46 pm

not sure about the stability of a bike with 200 lb payload. quantify your objection.

6. jefe May 17, 2011 8:22 am

I don’t think the rack is braced very well. It is my belief that the frame tubing supporting the rack, or the rack itself, will crack and fail within an unacceptably short period of time (a few years).

Bicycling.com review: “The 220-pound cargo capacity [200lb rear and 20lb on the front rack] is less than similar bikes, and even with lighter burdens I experienced wobbles, likely the result of twisting forces on the long frame”