Redline Urbis-Test in Progress

We received the new Redline Urbis about a month ago and since then we’ve been putting it through its paces.
Redline Urbis
Redline Bicycles has the Urbis listed under their commuter bike section. Since I don’t want to beat a dead Sarah Jessica Parker, we’ll just say that the Urbis is a fixed gear BICYCLE that has a flip-flop hub that one can use to commute with. Rather than having one person testing this bicycle, I’ve solicited the help of 4 men in 4 different age groups to test out the bike and to get their opinions.

Redline Urbis

The age groups:

15 year old High school student/ hipster from Irvine. Ca.
26 year old Sales professional from Costa Mesa, Ca. (Team Racer for
34 year old Blogger (That’s me!) from Fullerton, Ca. (Team Racer for
42 year old Warranty Manager from Costa Mesa, Ca. (Team Racer for

All four of us have been given two weeks to ride the bike as much as we can. In the end, we’ll be posting our collective reviews for everyone to see.

Redline Urbis

Brake Lever Tektro Alloy 2 Finger
Price: $549

Redline Urbis

1. Moe July 27, 2011 10:37 am

Where is the kickstand?

2. RANTWICK July 27, 2011 11:47 am

I won’t beat a dead Sarah Jessica Parker either then, but it is very difficult for me. Did you include that last pic of the cable guides because you knew people like me would hate them? They look cheap and cheesy to me.

3. RL Policar July 27, 2011 11:50 am

I included the photo because just to spite you… :)

4. Kermit July 27, 2011 1:41 pm

That looks like it may be good for Hardcourt Bike Polo!

5. David July 27, 2011 4:42 pm

Those particular cable guides are removable so in “Fixed” mode you can remove the rear brake and have a clean look on the Top Tube.

6. RL Policar! July 27, 2011 4:45 pm

David is correct, in fact when I assembled the bike, I installed the guides along with the rear brake set. So its totally optional, but I’ve always been a fan of those guides, to me they look good.

7. Ghost Rider July 27, 2011 7:19 pm

I’m with Ranty — I think they’re ugly, but they do serve a purpose (and full disclosure: I own two bikes set up that way with clamp-on guides).

Lord, those wheels look utterly bulletproof. I expect to see MAJOR AIR, not a couple of piddly bunnyhops, in the compiled review.

8. harry krishna July 28, 2011 8:16 am

i’m down with rantwick, also, but puzzled that a rear brake is necessary if you have a front disk (“disc” is hp speak to me).

9. Ghost Rider July 28, 2011 12:23 pm

@Harry, if the bike is set up fixed, no rear brake is needed. If it’s run “free”, both brakes are a far better idea. Nice that you get both options with the Urbis.

10. David July 28, 2011 1:20 pm

Front brake cable should be routed throught the top cap (Potts mod), this enbles the bars to spin free when in fixed mode.

11. RL Policar! July 28, 2011 1:22 pm

Congrats! You saw our little “test.” We did that to see who would catch it. That will be addressed in the actual review.

RL Policar

12. JohnnyK July 29, 2011 5:22 am

As a commuter I can tell you right now I do not prefer it as it has limited utility since from these pictures I don’t see fenders or racks and the obvious that you didn’t want to beat up again. As a toy it looks like it would be fun to play with.

13. Moe July 29, 2011 7:46 am

and don’t forget about the kickstand….

14. Ghost Rider July 29, 2011 8:58 am

Ooooh, oooh, don’t forget about the bell, the integrated lights and hub dynamo, security features and all that, too!

15. Kermit July 29, 2011 9:02 am

Rear disc tabs could open up many possibilities for this bike.

16. Jesus Christ July 29, 2011 9:06 am

I for one think that no commuter bike is complete unless it has an espresso maker and toaster built in.

17. RANTWICK July 29, 2011 12:08 pm

Clean lines for fixed gear mode; the fact that those cables guides were used for good reason makes them much less objectionable to me. Should have figured that out on my own.

18. no1mad August 5, 2011 4:58 pm

My mind must be playing tricks on me- could’ve sworn the Urbis had 26″ wheels the first time I noticed… Doesn’t really matter, though, as it’s still a sweet looking rig. The lack of accessories doesn’t bother me in the least.

Kudos to Redline (and their Torker brethren) for bringing to market well thought out models. Now if I can only get the LBS’ here to stock more than just the CX and BMX models…

19. VinceR August 7, 2011 1:09 am

I saw an Urbis out in the wild this past week here in Portland!
    The rider absolutely loved it! He was riding in freewheel mode.
    In person, it is a very good looking bike.

20. Btrthnezr3 October 4, 2011 7:52 pm

Where is the review?

21. Aussieidiot November 5, 2011 5:07 pm

I own one of these. I wouldn’t be using it as a serious commuter bike. The front brake is useless and the geometry doesn’t inspire confidence.
    It is great for a quick dash to the shops or a cruise around with the misses.