1. Tracy W September 20, 2011 11:26 am

Ingenious! Makes perfectly good sense…we’ve got guys a work who use a similar concept on their work boots in the winter time. I’ve always avoided commuting in the snow and ice, but with something like that I might be tempted to do it!

2. SingletrackM1nd October 3, 2011 1:45 pm

Sweet! Someone recycled a really really bad idea to fix a problem that doesn’t exist. Buy some Kendas or Schwalbes.

3. John F October 3, 2011 2:05 pm

Wow, this is the exact same thing as what was attempted about 15-20 years ago. It’s a noble idea and one that almost works. However, there are a couple of key details that destine these to the dusty corner of the garage:
    – they provide marginally better traction in snow.
    – they are terrible on dry pavement, in terms of rolling resistance and traction
    – they are inconvenient to remove and reinstall, meaning that when the roads are clear you’ll still deal with the chains.
    – they don’t provide anywhere near the traction on ice that studs do.
    – they are FAR heavier than studded tires
    Chains are great on cars and trucks because they have ample power. Humans do not. Sticking transverse chain segments on a bicycles tire makes it incredibly hard to pedal and to maintain speed.
    Honestly, if you’re in the need for winter traction just save up and invest in a set of high quality tires. There really is no substitute.
    And yes, I do have experience with them, nine years in Montana gave me ample time to explore winter traction solutions.

4. Cherilyn October 3, 2011 3:09 pm

I bike in the winter in Montana, and I can’t think of a reason to get these. Studded tires work perfectly well without all the hassle of chains. I don’t want to cast dispersion on anyone’s ingenuity, but this just seems like a higher maintenance idea than studded tires.

5. Rob October 3, 2011 8:09 pm

I made it through an icy Chicago winter over the last year, (5 miles on-road, 4 miles plowed-but-not-salted asphalt) and only tipped over once. So long as I stayed centered over the bike and moving, things went remarkably well.

This seems like a good idea, except for that whole mixed-surface issue of my commute. Plus the trickiest thing to navigate is ice that melts and refreezes again, and I don’t know that chains, studs, or anything short of tires made of MOLTEN LAVA would help that situation.

6. Elizabeth October 24, 2011 7:09 am

We will be testing these over the course of this winter and will let you know our thoughts. I have not had the opportunity yet to test out studded tires to compare.