Santa Rampage

Best part of my ride today? The Santa LED-blinky Hat on my helmet (a lingering token of the Milwaukee Santa Rampage bike ride)!

Santa Helmet

This past Saturday I took to my bike and spread some good cheer – during the 11th Annual Milwaukee Santa Cycle Rampage! Chicago also hosted a rampage – the Dreidel and Santa Rampage.

With just a dusting of snow on the ground, the Santas (and candy canes and elves and Mrs. Clauses and rudolphs and dreidels) set out on bikes on a two-wheeled trek across Milwaukee. I rode with the Santas that departed from the western edge of the city through downtown Milwaukee for our first libation stop. Another group of fun-loving Santas began their journey from a downtown location and over to meet up at stop #1 – the Lakefront Brewery.

According to one report from the Chicago Rampage – Chicago had about 50 Santas and 5 dreidels on their bikes.
As we were leaving the first stop at Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee, the hosts confirmed that well over 300 Santas… and at least one dreidel had passed through its doors for the Milwaukee Santa Rampage ride! Now that’s a lot of good cheer and HO HO HOs.

Riding to the first stop amidst the morning sunshine and crisp whiteness was by far the best part of the day.

Holiday music blasted from the trailers pulled by several riders. Car horns tooted as we passed by. What a great feeling to be honked and waived at by supportive (and not angry) car drivers cheering on all the Santas on bikes!

Kids and adults alike gaped at us from the sidewalks and scrambled to get a photo.

Below are some of the highlights of my first ever Santa Rampage. Have a very happy holiday everyone. Keep spreading the good cheer from your two wheels too.

My Red and White Bike…and snow

Me as Santa! Ho ho ho!

This Grinch did not steal the cheer!

Bikes as ornaments

Dreidel amidst all the Santas

the Santa toast – "Cheers!"

Cycling through downtown Milwaukee to stop #2

Over the bridge

Rudolph leads the Santas?

1. jesus christ December 19, 2011 11:34 pm

That’s pretty awesome!

2. Ghost Rider December 20, 2011 6:13 am

An endless line of Santas riding bikes warms my heart in the most wonderful way!

May I ask why you schlepped all the way to Milwaukee rather than doing the ride in Chicago?

3. MOM December 20, 2011 7:04 am

Oh, I know why she went to Milwaukee and not Chicago! Happy Holidays.

4. BluesCat December 20, 2011 7:13 am

I gotta believe that a Santa Rampage does wonders to ease tensions between cagers and cyclists. Do Milwaukee and Chicago do any other Holiday Rampages? Valentine’s Day? Memorial Day? Easter Bunny?

Happy Holidays everybody!

5. Elizabeth December 20, 2011 8:19 am

Why not Milwaukee? I had been invited to this rampage (and had heard good things about it at the WI bike shows) before I realized it conflicted with Chicago’s this year. I actually expected Chicago’s ride would be much larger. Also, I’ve biked around Chicago. For this ride, it was cool to be a part of bike culture in a different city — and to get to know different bike advocates and Santas. 😉 Turns out the MKE Santa ride was pretty remarkable! Hats off to the MKE Santas.

6. Ghost Rider December 20, 2011 8:39 am

Hey, sounds good to me. I was just curious, that’s all. MKE is a pretty kickin’ city, anyhow. And there was snow on the ground, too!

7. Danielle December 20, 2011 9:21 am

Fabulous! Everyone looks happy.

8. Mir.I.Am December 20, 2011 1:09 pm

EA I love the festive red and white bike! HANDLEBAR streamers rock. Everyone looks all bundled up and happy…