Hello enthusiastic readers – year-round cyclists, beginner cyclists, or future bike commuters! Like the title above says, next week is Bike to Work Week! May is also the only month where you can cycle to work and get loads of freebies – safety tuneups, swag, blinkie lights, bike maps, and bike buddies. Check out Jack’s article for handy links. For the bike-commuters-to-be and fledgling velodactyls, the staff writers at Bike Commuters wanted to share some tips, inspiration, and motivation to make May’s Bike to Work Week the best. week. ever. Everyone remembers the first time they rode a bike, and our readers have told us how they got started pedaling to work, and it turns out Bike to Work Week is a great starting point!
Here’s a list of some great articles I call the Rookie Commuter Resources. Hand selected and gleaned by yours truly… and don’t forget to read the comments, sometimes you guys are the ones with the best tips for bike commuting! Enjoy:
- Let’s Bike – This year, Elizabeth presented the basics on bike commuting at her job. She asked our readers to give their advice to newbie commuters. As Ghost Rider says, “the comments are GOLD” in this one.
- 10 Bike Commuting Myths Dispelled - Jack’s buddy Alan Snel shines truth on all myths related to bike commuting.
- My Conversation with a Cop about Bikes, Traffic, and Safety Tips – RL hashes it out with his friend “Officer Ben” to discuss the legal stuff and how to bike commute safely within the law!
- Out of My Way, Boys! – This article is by Dottie from Let’s Go Ride a Bike. A funny read for Cycle Ladies getting pumped to tear up the streets!
- Commuting in Style (Pint-Sized Edition) - Matt gives some tips on how to bike commute with tiny humans (a.k.a. children).
- Friday Musings – Top 3 Must-Have Bike Commuting Accessories – Readers share their thoughts on their favorite commuter accessories.
We know there are more out there, on our site and others, so please share more links in the comments box for any Rookie Commuter Readers out there getting pumped for Bike to Work Week: May 14th through 18th! Pedal Forward, Cycle Ladies and Gents!