Friday Musings – Women on Bikes are Just Plain HOT.

That’s right!  I said it!  Women on bikes are just plain hot.

From Milwaukee Pedal Pushers via FYGB.

Now, before anyone gets on their feminist high-horse (or double-tall feminist high-bike) please note that this article is mere speculation, meant to entertain and bubble up chittah-chattah, as part of our Friday Musings series.  I was talking with my local Cycle Lady coworkers and amigas about bike dates, bike friends, or just saying “hello” to others during your commute! I remembered an article that RL once posted a while back about meeting singles while bike commuting around town… While we still weren’t too sure about the direct correlation between a girl on a bike pedaling off to work and scoring a date on the way, we all agreed that being a woman on a bike just might be the easiest form of everyday bike advocacy!  Because if you’ve ever seen a Cycle Lady on her way to work, campus, the grocery store, the county prison or the junkyard, you’ll have to admit that women on bikes are just fan-fracking-tastic.

I don't crash my tall bike accidentally

Thanks to Dingo Dizmal's flickr stream

Whether you’re a Cycle Lady donning a bright yellow safety vest or cruising in a workdress, women with pedal power are sexy and exotic like the such-n-such orchid that blooms only once every three years and smells like rotting flesh!  (Hmm, somehow that simile didn’t turn out the way I’d hoped.)

What is it about a woman on a bike that just makes cycling to work that. much. better?!  I’ve seen some Red Hot Ladies around time that are KILLING IT up Tantalus and they just make my day.  And these ladies are hitting their 60s, putting young bucks to shame on a daily basis.

At this year’s national Bike Summit in Wash D.C., the buzz was all about women as the key to growing transportation cycling.  Apparently, the hypothesis is that the number of women on bikes is a measure of success for a city’s cycling culture.

I always tell my single friends in search of a mates or new buddies a surefire way to meet some new people would be to get on a bike!  (And that goes for Cycle Ladies and Gents.)  Trading tips with the other bike commuters at your job, or starting up a convo with the homie locking up their ride at the bike racks… there’s just something about riding bikes that’s so fun it’s contagious!  At least in the cities where I’ve commuted (San Luis Obispo, CA; Seattle, WA; and Honolulu, HI) I’ve felt an automatic sense of belonging when you pass another bike commuter in town… that little nod to the cyclist heading in the opposite direction, checking out each others rides or maguyver rack set ups, and high-fiving at red lights.  You know what I’m sayin’?

Women on Bikes – exotic and beautiful like the rare "corpse flower"

And I’m not just talking about the Mary Poppins Effect – where all girls in skirts on upright dutch bikes get more respect in the road.  No matter what kind of bike you ride, what you’re wearing, or how old you are, I’d like to go on the record to say that all women on bikes are HOT.  Don’t you agree, lovely readers?  So, let’s celebrate this unique group of individuals (the minority’s minority in the world of commuting) with some spicy photos!

From Dmackintosh Flickr stream – Roadie!

From Chicks on Bikes – Summertime BMX and sandals.

Cycling Taiwan - Day 5

Mamachari style bikes are HOT in Taiwan!

Marilyn Monroe – Keepin it real on two wheels!

Too much FUN – cruiser with a surf rack

Amendment! I've received a personal request from friends to post a photo of the RED HOT LADIES of HNL

Hipster pin-up status

And for all you mntbikeRiders – making spandex look GOOD.

Whew! That’s enough hot mamas on bikes for me for one weekend.  Catch you later, cycle gators!

1. The Daily Cycle May 18, 2012 4:43 am

Couldn’t agree more, good ol’ cycle-women get my cranks turnin’.

2. Graham May 18, 2012 5:00 am

I also have to agree that cycle chicks are hot! Getting my wife back into cycling was the smartest thing I’ve ever done.

3. Ghost Rider May 18, 2012 5:46 am

I think ALL people on two wheels are hot, not just women. But lord, it makes me happy as hell to see more ladies out there on bikes…I do believe it signifies a healthy indicator of transportational cycling (and a healthy, vibrant city life, too!).

4. Ghost Rider May 18, 2012 10:09 am

@Rantwick – LOVE it! Nice Meatloaf reference, too.

5. RANTWICK May 18, 2012 12:26 pm

Hey, thanks GR. Sadly, she’s no longer on that billboard, but I can always revisit that post when I get imaginary muse needy.

6. Mir.I.Am May 18, 2012 12:51 pm

YUUUUP!!! But where my LADIES at on this post? All I know is that I’m more into checkin’ out chicks on bikes that dudes on bikes (no offense to you, Ghost Rider, because it is true that all peeps on bikes are hot). When I see a guy on a bike , my brain goes “yeah whatevers, just another dude on bike.” but CYCLE LADIES on my commute! I’m checkin out their ride and trying to catch up to give high fives…. but that’s just me.

7. Donatello May 18, 2012 12:56 pm

Word.

8. Vincent Lyon May 18, 2012 1:19 pm

The best lyric from Queen – Fat Bottom Girls: “Get on your bikes and ride!” This was my soundtrack for reading this post.

9. Margaret May 18, 2012 1:27 pm

“Let me tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel … the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood.” – Susan B. Anthony

10. Trix May 18, 2012 2:28 pm

Nice post Mir and I agree Women on bikes are just plain hot -chick out their leg muscles for goodness sake! One day, when i grow up i hope i can be a hot biker chick 😉

11. womancommuter May 22, 2012 6:43 am

wow, am I ever glad to know that I’m hot to you guys! That’s actually the reason I bike commute! I hear others talking about health, reducing a carbon footprint, enjoying themselves…but for me, it’s about being pleasing to men. I’m trying to teach my daughter about this aspect of cycling as well. We aren’t evaluated for hotness enough, in my humble opinion, in mainstream culture–so it’s great to know that there’s guys in the cycling community who feel so free to express themselves in this way. Feminists smeminists. I’d love to read more blogs from guys to other guys about how women look to them. Pictures were a great addition too!

12. Ghost Rider May 22, 2012 7:23 am

@womancommuter — I’m getting the feeling that your comment was sarcasm, but I feel obligated to point out that this article was written by a WOMAN. Just so you know, and all that.

13. woman commuter May 22, 2012 7:59 am

14. BluesCat May 22, 2012 8:27 am

(chuckle) Y’know what, there was a very attractive young woman who rode a cruiser into the Starbucks the other day. She parked her bike next to mine, and when she came back out of the store with her coffee she sat down next to my bike.

I jumped up and said “Excuse me, let me get my bike out of your way.” As I moved my bike, she looked up at me, smiled, and said “Oh … your bike doesn’t bother me … at all.”

I think we chatted for a few moments, but I can’t remember a single word we said. I was smitten.

Womancommuter has caused me to think: How would I feel, as a 62-year-old grandfather of two girls, if this pretty young gal treated ME as a sex object?

Just dandy.

15. SaddleAmericana May 22, 2012 10:18 am

“the direct correlation between a girl on a bike pedaling off to work and scoring a date on the way”

one of my good friends is dating a guy she met on her bike commute. they said hi and chit-chatted at a red light, she beat him off the line, then slowed down for him at the next light. a few dates later, and they’re hanging out all the time!

16. Mir.I.Am May 22, 2012 12:40 pm

@womancommuter – sarcasm detector ALERT. And like Ghost Rider said, I am a woman! And who says that these photos are for MEN anyway? Or that looking good on a bike is for men either? One of my landladies was a mechanic at a bike shop, she used to build bikes all the time – and she was into girls, so I’m pretty sure she was checkin’ out woman on bikes all the time. (Probably my most badass landlady, IMHO). I’m just sayin’, people bike for whatever reason they want to… I’d just like to point out that the minority’s minority is MY favorite crew. Agree to disagree.

17. JazzyJ May 26, 2012 1:10 pm

Re: womancommuter – haters gon’ hate!

I’m with you Mir, biker ladies are hot. I enjoy checking out hot ladies on two wheels and being one of them. :-) Plus flirting whilst riding is the best.