1. BluesCat June 6, 2012 10:32 am

Hey, my cordless Ryobi electric drill has an adjustable torque clutch. I wonder if I could use it to automatically tighten, to the proper specification, all the allen-head bolts and screws on my bikes?

2. RL Policar! June 6, 2012 1:48 pm

You should give it a try. I’m looking to get a Torx T25 bit so I can use my drill to drive the disc brake screws in quicker.

3. Iron_Man June 6, 2012 2:25 pm

Filing this away for when I need to replace my BB.

4. Ghost Rider June 6, 2012 3:11 pm

@BluesCat — I wouldn’t recommend relying on the torque settings of that cordless drill. At all. Besides, the torque specs for most bicycle fittings are pretty low (the bolts and screws, in particular…right around 4 or 5 Nm). That’s just beyond finger-tight.

5. The Daily Cycle June 6, 2012 6:05 pm

Been doing this for three years now. Make sure you have a good tool with plenty of pressure! Good tip though.

6. jdmitch June 7, 2012 8:43 am

Am I the only one that uses a cordless impact wrench remove and replace nutted wheels on my bikes? using a 15mm wrench only as the final tighten down (my impact is 12V so just shy of enough torque to feel solid)

Agree with the comment that I wouldn’t use an electric drill for a precise torque spec. However, I do regularly set it to setting 1 (lowest possible)to “set” the various allen bolts and such, and follow with a torque wrench for items that need torque or allen wrench for items I just want finger tight, like water bottle cages (level one is just below finger tight)

7. Bre@cdi torque products June 19, 2012 8:24 am

I use a cordless one, it’s just that like Ghost Rider said to never rely on it at all, he didn’t actually never means it’s not good. It’s just that I don’t rely on it at all. I better do it all manually using the right torque tool for all those bolts and screws.. Better safe than sorry ..