Worst U.S. traffic cities…in infographic form!

We’re a bit leery of posting infographics found on the web…too often, they’re a shameless ploy to direct traffic to a website. Cycling sites are particularly susceptible to this (as satirized here).

Anyhow, the following comes from an Internet-based job search site, but the data used to compile the infographic comes from a reliable source. It’s an interesting look at the United States’ most congested traffic cities:

Top 10 Cities with the Worst Traffic in the US – Infographic – An infographic by your Local Job Search team, Jobplotter.

Data source

It’s troubling that many of those congested cities also don’t have a good set of bike/ped infrastructure in place, based on my experience traveling to some of those places. Makes you wonder if bicycling was more accessible in cities like Miami, or Tampa, or Los Angeles, would congestion drop accordingly? I think it might…

1. Richard Masoner July 17, 2012 9:50 am

Thanks for the link love, Jack!

San Francisco’s traffic congestion is by design. With a “transit first” policy written into the city charter, city planners make driving in San Francisco horrible *on purpose* so people are encouraged to walk, bike and ride public transportation.

2. harry krishna July 17, 2012 10:33 am

good point, richard. i believe the resistance to paving the planet helps places like pittsburgh and madison, wi. i have lived long enough to see that seattle and atlanta just made a bigger mess.

3. Paul July 17, 2012 6:25 pm

#1 – I didn’t understand what you meant in your email about the stealing traffic thing, but after following the link it’s quite hilarious. And I see where you’re coming from. :)

#2 – Houston is definitely not set up for biking although there is a large community of cyclist here. Pedestrian traffic is almost impossible unless you live in the heart of downtown.

Houston is so spread out that it would be hard to travel without some type of motor transportation, but I do believe the community here would love alternate ways to commute. I would 100% love to be close enough to work to be able to walk or bike. Not only is my current job too far, but I’d be scared to death to share the road with some of these drivers!

Even though the city isn’t really set up for cyclist, they did do a good job of adding the correct amenities to encourage it. We have locker rooms, showers, and ample bike racks. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bike in the racks though.

4. Ghost Rider July 17, 2012 6:32 pm

@Richard — link love always, my friend! Your satire is a classic “rebuttal” to the infographic craze. I think I’ve even linked to it before…

I did not know that about San Francisco. I wonder what other cities have chosen to build in congestion to discourage solo motorists? I do know that the ATL is a mess of pavement…lord, driving there is a nightmare. But I don’t think they did it on purpose; rather, they just dropped the ball.

@Paul — thanks for the infographic, and I’m glad you paid a visit to the satire page to clarify things. Too many of these are designed purely to direct traffic to some obscure startup. It’s a genius, albeit sneaky, move.

5. Cliff July 26, 2012 10:22 am

Where is #8?

6. Ghost Rider July 27, 2012 5:29 am

Cliff — #8 is ATL. It’s a bit hard to see on the graphic above.

7. Ken N. July 31, 2012 8:25 pm

As a newbie to the commute to work, I find that New Mexico is the absolute pit of hell when it comes to biking to work and back. In the one month that I have been riding, I have had beer bottles thrown at me, drivers try to run me off the road shouting obscenities, and have had one guy and his buddy in a Lincoln cut me off on purpose. The same driver’s buddy actually got out of their SUV screaming and running at me wanting to (I feel) kill me for passing them while they were parked on the side of the road.

For my saftey/protection, I purchased a 31 inch friction baton and mounted it to my bike. It looks like a tire pump so it doesn’t attract attention while it is locked up at work. Every night on my way home when I hit “16th Street” I unhook the keeper of that baton just in-case that White Lincoln SUV is there. The other night, they were there and they came up beside me again after I passed them while they were parked. I stopped at the next stop sign and sure enough, they rolled up to me. The guy in the passenger seat said that I need to watch where the “bleep” I was going while his buddy proceeded to get out of the SUV. I dropped my bike, grabbed the baton and met him half-way around the front of the SUV. Once I opened the baton by flicking my wrist, his eyes got as big as saucers. I managed to take a swing hitting his leg and he went straight to the ground yelling in pain. His buddy peeled off and left him there, but managed to get his taillight with another swing.

Thinking I was crazy, I chatted up several bikers that I have come in contact with and almost all carry a gun for such reasons. Why do we have to go so far just to ride a bike to work? Is it really worth it? This past event has me wondering such things, but I continue to ride, even though I haven’t seen that Lincoln again….