A gas station that welcomes bicycles…

This Propel Gas Station in Fullerton caught a ton of attention from local media for the mere fact that they had a small “bicycle station” on their property. I decided to ride down there and investigate to see what all the fuss is about.
DSC_0528

At first I didn’t really see it because it’s not readily visibly. In fact, the view was blocked because the station’s repair shop had cars parked next to it.
DSC_0529

Here’s the sign on the station — very friendly and welcoming.
DSC_0530

I thought the work stand was pretty clever.
DSC_0531

The stand has a great assortment of tools.
DSC_0532

There it is… not a bad way for a gas station to look more eco-friendly to the local community. But I can’t help feel kinda odd about seeing this. I mean, think about it: it’s like McDonald’s serving up “healthy” choices on their menu…it just doesn’t go together.
DSC_0534

1. hermes August 26, 2012 5:43 pm

I love it!!!

2. Raiyn August 26, 2012 8:14 pm

Likewise! I’d like to see some of our local stations / convenience stores have proper racks much less something like this.

3. Ghost Rider August 27, 2012 6:12 am

It’s odd to see a gas station cater to cyclists, but I am happy to see it. I’ve read tales of these bike stations popping up elsewhere…even the International Airport in Auckland, NZ (http://www.bikecommuters.com/2008/10/05/traveling-cyclist-amenities-new-zealand-style/). Heck, there are even bicycle-themed vending machines that sell tubes and repair parts out there!

I have yet to see any of these in person, though, but I am looking forward to it. I hope many more places implement a good idea like this.

4. BluesCat August 27, 2012 7:29 am

I wonder what the “tipping point” is for a gas station/convenience store to put in a bike station? Sounds like a good subject for an interview, eh, RL?

5. DanD August 27, 2012 7:43 am

Assuming it’s got an attached convenience store, it’s not odd at all. They make as much, if not more, on a bottle of gatorade as they do on a full tank of gas.

As a result, it makes sense for them to do whatever will result in people coming into the convenience store portion.

6. Jean-Marc August 27, 2012 9:29 am

That is totally awesome, there have been many a time i have rident by a gas station and wished it had some tools for me because i was ill prepared for a problem that came up.

7. Teresa August 27, 2012 9:30 am

I don’t think it’s odd at all. It’s pretty cool and clever. Not only do cyclists need to purchase items from the convenience store, but many also own cars. Where would you rather fill up?

8. Suzanne S. August 28, 2012 4:37 am

What a curiosity! I’d like to see it catch on too. I’ve used the air-machine-for-pay at the gas station before and gone in to get a drink…all the better if there’s tools & a stand around to help with other tune-ups.

9. Meat August 28, 2012 9:42 am

Gas stations don’t make money on gas. They make money on everything else they sell. This station is just trying to get you in the door. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

10. Frank Peters August 28, 2012 5:48 pm

Happy to see this! I was touring last week and needed air…

11. megan August 29, 2012 10:10 am

Wish there were more gas stations like this. Bike riders need some love too!

12. Rich August 29, 2012 10:27 am

Love this idea for gas stations to have this.

13. Mir.I.Am August 30, 2012 1:30 am

Well, Propel Fuels does serve only biodiesel customers. Maybe the idea is that someone driving a diesel converted car is on their way to a MTB trip and needs some air in the tires before they take off!! You know, green hippie clientel like both biodiesel AND bikes. Also, my brother (for some odd reason) commutes errands and the gym on weekends, and always goes to the gas station to put a little air in his tires… I bet he’d like something like this!