Commuter Profile: Sarah Eberhardt

Oooh Cycle Ladies and Gents – please give a round of applause for our latest Commuter Profile starlette – hot, strong, and ready to bike down the red carpet… SARAH EBERHARDT hailing from Los Angeles, California!

Sarah Eberhardt commutes in downtown L.A.

Sarah bikes to LIVE, here she is in San Diego, CA.

Name: Sarah Eberhardt

How long have you been a bike commuter?

Since 2005- the inception of my cycling life as we know it! 1/4 of my life I have been commuting via bike! Yeah! =)

Why did you start riding your bike to work and how long is your commute?

Let’s rephrase the Q – I bike to live and know that 2 miles is my ideal commute. I drew a 2 miles radius around my workplace, and chose where to live that was precisely 2 miles away from work. Any more than that, I’d get lazy some days (come on – who doesn’t find an excuse to drive their car if they have one?); any less, it wouldn’t be enough cardio to jump start my day.

Sarah with the baby blue Fuji Bordeaux, prior to thieving thievery… in Taos, NM.

How does Bike Commuting help you with your lifestyle (economics, health, relationships)?

How does bike commuting NOT help my lifestyle? I could go on for days, but bike commuting was the primary purpose of my move to Los Angeles – where all conditions align for the epitome of bike commuting environments – sunshine 364 days a year, no rain, no flash storms, acute temperature deviations from 70 degrees, mildly conscious drivers – all giving me a daily commute unlike the norm in Los Angeles.

Definitely all smiles in Downtown LA, I love it!

I have a smile on my face every day I am going to work. My commute time is not based on traffic pattern surprises or sudden road closures – it is 12 minutes each way, plus or minus one minute for red lights. I save gas money. I save parking fees. I save parking hunt headache in downtown LA.

Hmmm, this one doesn't look like commuting in Copenhagen… must be mountain biking the Rio Grande in Taos, NM!

What do you do for a living and in what city do you bike commute?

Architect by degree and banquet server by recession, I bike commute daily within downtown Los Angeles. I have owned a bike and commuted while living months at a time in Cleveland, OH; Cincinnati, OH; Copenhagen, Denmark; Berkeley, CA; and Taos, NM.

What kind(s) of bike do you have?

I’m on my 3rd road bike since 2005 and her name is Igriega (because it sounds like “egret” and it is my favorite Spanish word – she makes me fly past the egrets that wade in the LA River along many of my weekend warrior rides). She is a solid carbon fiber Trek Madone and the bike of my dreams. She soars me through the heavy clouds (cough cough *smog*) of LA.

Thugs for Life, Bikes for Life – laying down with her black Bianchi in Cincinnati, OH.

Prior to her, my virgin roadie was an aluminum baby blue Fuji Bordeaux- stolen on Berkeley’s campus (NEVER USE CABLE LOCKS!!). My interim roadie was a steel black and teal Bianchi Imola – the thug bike – I suspect it was a stolen bike (even though I checked it with and again, was stolen off the trunk rack of my car in Koreatown LA. That bike had bad bike karma – it was destined to be passed from thief to rider to thief to rider.

Using the Iron Horse MTB for a leisure MTB ride on Catalina Island off coast of Cali

I also own a less momentous Iron Horse mountain bike for non-road friendly treks.

"What the hell?!" – Mir.I.Am's reaction.

Any funny or interesting commuting story that you may want to share?

While living in New Mexico, I once carried home a 3 foot diameter tumbleweed on my back that I found to use as décor. It is a lot harder to bike one-handed with a large prickly odd-shaped object strewn over your shoulder!

Response from Sarah, "Tumbleweed in Taos, NM!" Obviously.

What do people (coworkers, friends) say when you tell them that you are a bike commuter?

“Oh my, is that safe?” “Do you even bike at night?”

If you’re surrounded in steel, it’s not necessarily safer than riding on top of steel. So yes, it is as safe as driving in a car, and yes I use bike lights.

How about bicycling advocacy? Are you active in any local or regional advocacy groups?

Anything else that you want to share with us?

YES, I’m renowned for a series of jumping photos in epic places — some of these places I was lucky enough to have had my bike along for the journey.

Jump photo time on the LA River trail.

Coronado Island in San Diego, leisure ride with Sarah's man Valentin for weekend warrior adventures.

Sarah, thanks for sharing your fun-fun photogs and awesome sauce profile with us.  You’ve reaffirmed my personal belief that women on bikes are just plain hot!  Want to show us your ride and tell us all about it, lovely Bike Commuters?  Then send an email and we’ll hook you up with a Commuter Profile questionnaire!  Email mir[at]bikecommuters[dot]com for details.

1. meligrosa September 15, 2012 11:40 am

she is so fun, thx for the vibrant +inspiring interview.
    love hearing from the bikers in LA, i know there are tons of them for ea.time i visit, such a good uprising community

watta smile too <3

2. ridonrides September 15, 2012 9:27 pm

sarah is awesome! i especially liked how she said she deliberately chose her residence 2 miles from her work. i can’t stand how people gripe about how long and expensive their commute is (by car obviously) and then say how “lucky” i am to live so close to work. it was a conscious choice!!

3. uhhh September 15, 2012 10:22 pm

Something doesn’t add up here.

Her commute is <2 miles in ~12 minutes.

So, she rides a carbon fibre Madone in order to go 10 mph?

4. Sarah September 15, 2012 10:36 pm

Thanks meligrosa and ridonrides!! Yes, it’s funny to hear people gripe about long commutes in LA for that very reason! I hear it all the time!

To uhhh:
    My daily commute speed hits 17mph on the 3 block stretches where I get all green lights, but being a responsible cyclist, I stop at all red lights. This stopping, slowing down and starting up cuts into an otherwise straight, short commute. In urban LA, there are LOTS of traffic lights unfortunately not timed very well for the pace of a cyclist. I usually stop at 3-5 lights during my commute, each of them taking .5-1 minute to change. Thus, were it not for annoying traffic lights, my commute may be 8 minutes.
    And, I picked a carbon fiber Madone so the thumps and bumps of potholes and crevices of poorly paved LA streets would be cushioned as much as possible. And so it would be easy to carry my ride up 2 flights of stairs in an apartment building.

Thanks for your comments =)

5. Mike Myers September 16, 2012 6:28 am

You can always tell the Southern California commuters’ bikes—no fenders. LOL

6. Ghost Rider September 16, 2012 7:18 am

Now here’s a woman who loves to bike, and it shows! Thanks for the enthusiastic words, Sarah!

Good on you for consciously choosing where to live, too.

7. BluesCat September 16, 2012 8:35 pm

Sarah – Yeah, it’s funny how stoplights and stop signs destroy your average times. My current commute of 8 miles has about ten of them. When I’m on the nice, flat stretches — one of which is a whole, uninterrupted half a mile — I’ll look down at the bike computer and see I’m right up around 17 to 18 mph. Yet on the uphill ride in the morning I only average around 12 mph, and on the downhill trek in the the afternoon it only gets up to around 13 mph.

8. Mir.I.Am September 16, 2012 8:41 pm

Yeah… Sarah is the shiz. Cycle Ladies with a passion for the bike, no matter how long the distance, I’m into it! And @Mike Myers – I ride fenderless in Hawaii too, but there’s plenty of rain even when it’s warm so I always change clothes anyway…!

9. dgaddis September 17, 2012 8:08 am

Nice profile! Here’s a question: why not a single speed?

Speaking of ride times….my 10 mile ride in the moring typically takes ~35 minutes, it’s mostly flat with a long screaming 40mph downhill, and if I stay on the gas on the flat after that downhill I can keep it up around 30mph for a pretty good ways. On the way home I take a different route, with a good bit of climbing, and it’s 12 miles and takes 45-50 minutes.

10. Dave September 17, 2012 12:23 pm

Glad to hear you’re a responsible cyclist and obey the lights. My commute is 12 miles one way with 2 traffic lights. Its challenging battling inclimate weather and darkness but up here in northern new england its all part of the fun.

11. Graham September 18, 2012 4:50 am

I have a sleek road bike myself and I have to agree that some days it’s actually worth crying over having to stop. every. 1/8 of a mile.

That’s why sometimes it makes me laugh to bust out my swoopy sexy beach cruiser and arrive to work at exactly the same time. Admit it, sometimes cushy saddles and tires are totally worth it!

Am I going to have to subject myself to the camera for a commuter profile just to get cruisers some love on this website?!

12. Ghost Rider September 18, 2012 5:05 am

Graham…yes, yes you will. Hit me up at “” for the profile questionnaire and instructions.

We’ve featured some cruisers before…from Nirve and a couple other companies. That was a while ago, though, so you might have to dig through our archives a bit.

13. Hermes September 19, 2012 2:10 am

You make riding a bicycle look very appealing. You should be a spokesperson of “riding bikes is fun”.

Thank you for sharing Sarah!

14. Sarah October 5, 2012 11:09 pm

Thanks for all the love!! I do love riding and it needs no spokeswoman for making this known. People just need to hop on a bike and see for themselves the smile that creeps across their face! A great chance to do that in LA is Cyclavia which happends twice a year when the city closes down a route of streets to allow cyclists of all types to cruise through town unabated by cars – one which is happening this Sunday October 7 throughout dtLA!

@ dgaddis – I like to have just one machine for multi-task rides. I use the same bike for commuting and weekend warrior rides which necessitate the granny gear and climbing so I can feel the 40 mph breeze through my hair! I love taking Igriega out on all my adventures- urban and scenic – around SoCal. I couldn’t do all this with a fixie or single! =)