How to true a wheel

Recently I inherited shop quality tools from a friend who used to own a bicycle shop. He’s since moved to Taiwan and one of my favorite tools he gave me is the Park Truing Stand (TS-2). As a kid I had a Minoura truing stand that I learned how to true. I really wasn’t good at it, but enough to keep my wheels from rubbing the brakes.

So now that I have this professional grade tool (the park), I decided I’d tinker around with it and see if I can get better at truing. I’ve since trued about 12 wheels from my fleet of bicycles! The funny thing about it, I find it very soothing and relaxing. I’ve always said that working on bicycles is better than therapy.

Let’s get back to the title of this article. I thought about creating a tutorial on how to true a wheel. But Youtube has tons of great videos that show you how to do it. Here’s one that I really liked.

Here’s another tip you can use if you don’t have a truing stand. Read the tip on MtnBikeRiders.com
zip tie

1. dgaddis January 14, 2013 6:26 am

Can’t see the video here at work, but did they mention anything about checking the dish of the rim? The truing stand well let you get it straight and round, but not centered left/right.

2. Ghost Rider January 14, 2013 7:16 am

The Park truing stand will help adjust left/right (there are three “guides” on the stand: left, right and center/hop)…but you really need a separate dishing tool to check your wheels.

3. Matt January 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Just watched the video and he’s turning that spoke wrench like crazy – I’ve always been told to turn no more than half a turn at a time. It’s also pretty rare (in my experience) to have a wobble that’s only in the vicinity of one spoke – usually seems to be over an area of 2-3 spokes.

4. dgaddis January 15, 2013 11:01 am

@ghost – exactly. It’s nearly impossible to keep the calipers centered on the truing stand. A dish tool is required if you really want to do it right.

5. RL Policar January 15, 2013 11:06 am

Ya but this video was never about dishing the wheel…

6. dgaddis January 15, 2013 12:17 pm

True, but most of the wheels I’ve trued were alsoincorrectly dished.