This Just In: Lady Commuters Are On a Roll!

Hey there, fearless female foot-pedaling peoples and all Bike Commuters readers in internet land. This just in from Washington D.C.: the League of American Bicyclists recently released a “first-of-its-kind report showcasing a trend seen on streets nationwide” Apparently, stats are showing that Cycle Ladies are changing the face bicycling (duh), and bicycling is transforming the lives of said lady commuters (double-duh and high fives!)

The press release from the League goes like this:

“Women on a Roll” — a product of the League’s Women Bike program — compiles more than 100 original and trusted sources of data to showcase the growth and potential of female bicyclists in the United States. It also suggests five key focus areas — the 5 Cs — to increase women’s ridership:

» Comfort
» Convenience
» Consumer Products
» Confidence
» Community

“Increasingly, advocacy groups and industry leaders are recognizing the gender gap as a clear — and critical — limitation to growing the bike movement and the market,” said Carolyn Szczepanski, the League’s Director of Communications and Women Bike. “This report puts hard data behind that imperative — and reveals what’s working in getting more women on bikes and where there is clear opportunity to increase female leadership and participation.”

According to the report:
» 82% of American women have a positive view of bicyclists
» From 2003 to 2012, the number of women and girls who bicycle rose 20%, compared to a .5% decline among men
» Women are the new majority: 60% of bicycle owners aged 17-28 years old are women.
» Women accounted for 37% of the bicycle market in 2011, spending $2.3 billion.
» 45% of local and state bicycle advocacy organization staff are female.
» 89% of bike shop owners are male, but 33% of shops are run by a
husband/wife team.
» Women are still underrepresented in leadership positions, including the boards of national industry and advocacy organizations — and their membership.

Download “Women on a Roll” here and stay engaged as we dig further into the data and concepts in the report with female leaders over the next three months.

Learn more about Women Bike at

Take what you want from it… I’m usually a positive thinker living in a happy bubble world where bikes, ponies, and rollerblades all share the roads with equal representation of male and females alike… But let’s get real here, women are the hot new thing in the Bike Commuting land, and we can’t deny the increasing representation in the market!

So whaddya think? Are you a cycle lady that has changed the face of bicycling? Did all you women on bikes out there need Comfort, Convenience, Consumer Products, Confidence, and Community to transition into the cycling world? If you aren’t a Cycle lady yet, just click here to get some inspiration of why you should become one!
Otherwise, hit us up in the comments to share your opinions.

1. Karen August 12, 2013 10:25 am

Okay, I’ll pat myself on the back and say that in 5 years of commuter cycling, blogging and advocating I’ve had an influence on a few women, and even a couple of men. Comfort, convenience, confidence and community probably facilitated my transition from car to bicycle more than consumer products. I think it has been women such as myself has influenced the growing selection of products geared to our needs. What I needed and still need more of are road with dedicated bike lanes that connect to the places that I need to got. Bike routes, multi-use paths and a public transportation system that considers bicycles a piece of the puzzle help a lot, as well as car drivers who are aware that cyclists on are also on the road. Self-confidence is a huge factor. I couldn’t have let fear or intimidation hold me back. Having a community of other cyclists willing to share their wisdom and experiences helps a lot. The on-line community of other women biking and blogging has provided me with a tremendous amount of inspiration over the last few years, as well. I needed to see the images and words of women that I could identify with, especially to overcome that phase of my transition to biking when I had to deal with naysayers who were sure that I wouldn’t be able to do it.

2. Mir.I.Am August 12, 2013 12:58 pm

Thanks Karen for your awesome insight… I might have to agree about consumer products as not a top factor for me personally committing to a car free life. I often think of you, Meligrosa of Bikes and the City, and Dottie if LGRAB when I think of blogs that influenced my cycle lady enthusiasm. Keep it up!

3. Andrew August 12, 2013 1:57 pm

“60% of bicycle owners aged 17-28 years old are women.”

Go ladies!

4. Elizabeth August 12, 2013 3:40 pm

I’ve already been spreading the word about this report locally within our local Women Bike Chicago grassroots movement. If we all work together to bridge the needed gaps, then we are quite a powerful force and we women seem to be getting the job done.

My inspiration to ride my bike came before all the women blogs popped up; fellow cyclists in general and the close-knit community of cyclists and commuters that I found when I simply reached out are who got me and kept me rolling. So I found community and it helped.

“Comfort, Convenience, and Consumer Products” certainly help. but Confidence instilled by simply getting out there and riding and fostered by Community are what helped most.

Thank you, fellow Women On A Roll!

5. Mo August 12, 2013 5:50 pm

I started bike commuting when I switched jobs and realized that biking was going to be the fastest, easiest way to get to my new job. I don’t have a car and the bus or metro both take a lot longer than the bike. Still seems like I see many more men than women biking in DC but overall there seem to be way more bikers on the road than there were when I moved to the city 8 years ago! Seeing a growing community of bikers in DC made me feel more confident about taking the plunge to bike to work.

6. Ghost Rider August 13, 2013 7:25 am

For what it’s worth…even though I have been commuting for a LONG time and could be considered somewhat jaded, I find that Karen and the ladies from LGRAB are great inspirations, role models, and ambassadors for all of us, both male and female. Plus, they’re so damn stylish!!!!

7. Denise August 13, 2013 7:35 am

I have just started bicycling the daily commute to my daughter’s school. She originally attended an elementary school within walking distance of our home. But last year, we enrolled her in school that was 2 miles away. I drove that entire school year. I felt bad about it–knowing that there was a healthier transportation alternative sitting in my garage, but I was just too timid to bike anywhere other than a trail. My husband has been cycling to work for years. Thanks to his encouragement, I finally ventured onto the roads this summer. And…it wasn’t so bad! My daughter started traveling with us…to parks, the farmer’s market, trails, the library. She loved riding her bike around town. This present school year started last week and so far, we are loving the daily ride.

I am definitely seeing more females riding around my town than I used to. It is really inspiring!

Btw, if anyone knows of a forum for female bicyclist, please let me know. Thanks!