Interbike 2013: To Vegas in one week!

The crew here at is gearing up for our annual trip to North America’s largest bicycle tradeshow, Interbike! We’re planning on bringing you a ton of coverage from the show floor and beyond.

We’ve got a couple of things we’re on the lookout for…some emerging technologies and overall trends in bike commuting circles. But, as always, we’d like to ask YOU what you want to see: Have you heard of anything that you would like to learn more about? Particular vendors or brands you want to see? Please let us know in the comments below — your feedback helps us focus our efforts, and without that feedback, the show floor at Mandelay Bay can be pretty daunting, even for seasoned attendees.

We hope to hear from you. Rest assured, we’ll sniff out the cool, the groundbreaking, and the unabashedly weird while we’re in Las Vegas!

1. Raiyn September 8, 2013 9:51 pm

Jack, I’d love for you guys to check out the Raleigh Tamland (I’m looking at the Tamland 1 specifically) and the Surly Straggler as well as similar bikes from other manufacturers. I personally think that the things that supposedly make a good “gravel bike” translate well into the commuting realm. Slightly more relaxed geometry, room for wider tires with fenders, disc brakes etc.

2. Ghost Rider September 9, 2013 4:25 am

@Raiyn — EXCELLENT idea. I am intrigued by that class of bike, for sure, and I will try to get the skinny on those models and other brands that offer such bikes.

There’s been a bunch of buzz about hydraulic disc brakes for road bikes, with a couple of the major component manufacturers rolling out reservoir-equipped shifters. That’s one “new tech” thing I am eager to learn more about.

3. Travis September 9, 2013 8:23 am

I’m also very interested in this gravel bike commuter crossover. I am a disc brake affectionado from the mountain bike world but don’t want to jump in to a disc commuter/touring bike with mechanical because the improvement is incremental. I would love to get more insight into when we will see lower level drop bar hydro’s that are appropriate for the commuter bike.

4. Terrence Sheehy September 9, 2013 9:17 am

I’d love to hear your impressions of the re-designed Novara Gotham commuter bike if it’s on display. I’m strongly considering purchasing it, or the Trek Soho DLX, early 2014. Thanks.

5. Ghost Rider September 9, 2013 9:50 am

@Travis — you must have read a page out of my playbook, because that is EXACTLY the information I am hoping to track down!

As a corollary, budget-friendly hydros with electronic shifting “for the rest of us” would be a tasty combo, would it not?

@Terrence — Novara/REI is not listed in the exhibitor directory for this year’s show. The Gotham is a popular rig, though, and I too am curious to see the updates to that model.

6. Raiyn September 9, 2013 9:46 pm

@ Travis
    While hydro disc brakes for the road are “the coming thing” and I too welcome coverage of them, there’s much to be said for the simplicity of a cable system especially in a commuter environment.
    Cheaper and easier to fix for your average commuter is never a bad thing.
    In that vein, as a long time BB7 user, the dual piston mechanical TRP Spyres on the Tamland bikes are piquing my interest.