Sweet Jesus (pronounced “HeyZeus”), Bike Commuters – the evil end of 2013 has come and gone. Can you friggin’ believe it? Well, just like all those people waxing poetic out there in facegramstaland, the staff writers have decided it’s time to give you a recap with our Annual Roundup for 2013. So, in case you were asleep for most of the game (like I am, during every Superbowl/Tour-de-Whatevs/sporting event) here are the highlights for 2013. Cue obnoxious stadium buzzer!
Commuter Profiles & New Blood: We capped off ’13 with a handful of commuter profiles, where readers shared their sweet rides, photos from their commutes, and stories of bikey conquest with the internet world. Check out Hannah Decker of Boise, ID, Christian P. Kittelson of Seattle, WA, and a related article on four hardcore riders from A Winter of Cyclists documentary. Oh yeah, and did we mention we picked up some new blood? Not like teen vampire smut, but new writers Andrew “The Doctor” Li and Emily “Shelly” Shellabarger have been welcomed to the Bike Commuters team! Look forward to more from them every week in 2014.
Winter Wondergoodness: No surprise that Elizabeth covered the controversial topic of crazy snow commuting in icy Chicago. And BIG surprise that Mir (yeah, that’s me, the former “66 degrees feels cold” commuter) rediscovered the joys and pains of winter commuting in rain and colder weather. Check out these posts on “anything goes if it’s clothes” layering technique and thumbhole sleeve hack if you are looking for ways to transition into year-round biking with mild winter conditions. Hey, if I can do it, anyone can!
DIY & Side Projects: Fancy yourself a new sidecar, bike rack made of wooden pallets, or a simple bicycle repair stand? Look no further than these articles written by RL, Emily, and Doc Li for your 2014 DIY and side project inspirations!
Interbike 2013 Coverage & the Electric-Assist Trend Continues: And, of course, any year-end roundup wouldn’t be complete with snapshots from Jack and RL’s coverage at Interbike 2013 in Las Vegas. Here are a couple of our favorites:
- Booth Dudes - Jack and RL highlight some of their favorite bike dudes for their dashing good looks and straight up bike knowledge.
- Even More Gravel Bikes – get ready to grind some gravel, could this be the new face of the ultimate commuter bike?
- Hydraulic Brakes on the Road – Are road disc brakes in your future?
- Axiom Performace Gear - One of Jack and RL’s favorite commuter discoveries at Interbike 2013. Axiom has a versatile line up of panniers, racks, and accessories – well-made, stylish, and readily available!
- Electric Bicycles – You can’t deny the trend of e-bikes cruising into the commuter market. RL shot the shop with Motive Electric bikes, and even got to test ride and review the Motiv Electric Shadow at the end of this year.
Mobile Repair Unit: This year, Bike Commuters founder RL Policar and Andrew Doc Li spearheaded an ongoing effort to offer free bike services to the homeless in their community with RL’s Mobile Repair Unit. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you live in the Fullerton, CA area and want to get involved with this ongoing event!
- How Would You Regulate on Your City? Our ideas and yours on what it would be like to re-write the bike laws in your city.
- How Do You Like It, Wet or Dry? Personal preference of chain lube! Yes, an entire post dedicated to lube (ha!), that’s right, I said it.
- How Do You Buy Your Commuting Gear? Art muses on the LBS vs. online store vs. Ebay. Check out the comments section on this post for advice from our readers on the best ways to buy your bike commuting gear.
And so, dear readers, we’ve made it through the first tween years of the big 2K… Thanks for sticking with us, and if you made it to the end of this blog post without clicking any links or taking a bathroom break, you must have the attention span of a squirrel in the bulk bin section at your local New Seasons market. Enjoy the ride into 2014, bikey peeps!